Posted by Matt LeBlanc
I am a big fan of social media – I have profiles and use many of the social networks (click on CONNECT at the top of the page) in both professional and personal capacities but I need help in understanding why I should be interested in reading pointless status updates / tweets.
Maybe it’s just me but I have never found the fact that someone is going to return a pair of shoes, watching a Pepsi commercial, going to lunch, or waiting in a doctor’s office very interesting. None of those would warrant me picking up the phone to call a friend and say, “hey, guess what I’m doing!”
Please help me understand why people insist on updating their status (on Facebook, Linkedin, etc) or tweeting those types of mundane things. If you are going to let people know what you are doing, thinking, or working on at least make it interesting or worth reading.
In my opinion a good status update / tweet does one of the following –
- Provides information that some (if not all) would find valuable, humorous, uplifting, etc
- Asks a question that provokes a response
- Provides a review of (good, bad, or indifferent) something that others would be interested in
- Asks for advice or information on a personal / professional project without appearing desperate or completely lost
- Promotes a product or service that you have to offer that is unique
- Lets others know how you can assist them
With the economy being in the state that it is, a status update or tweet can also be used as an effective tool in looking for a new opportunity if you have the right audience. Here are some examples of how you might use them as part of your search –
- Interviewing at ____ on ____ for a ____ opportunity. Any thoughts or ideas on interview best practices for the company/role?
- Came across a ____ opportunity at ____ and would welcome a warm introduction if one can be made.
- Searching for information on ____ – any insights and information would be appreciated.
There are very few people that I have come across that do an outstanding job of putting together tweets and status updates that fit into one of the categories above and draw me into responding. For every one of those there at least 100 that put things out there that seem pointless and out of place.
Give me your thoughts – what makes a good status update / tweet and why should I or shouldn’t I be interested in why someone “is,” or “craving ice cream,” or “picking up some apples at the store.”
Until next time good hunting and good luck!